The Cora Hartshorn Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary (CHA) is a non-profit organization located in Short Hills, New Jersey. Our mission is to foster and promote environmental awareness, education, and stewardship within the greater community. CHA includes 16.45 acres of woodlands, 3 miles of trails, and a diversity of predominantly New Jersey floral and faunal species.
The Cora Hartshorn Arboretum is seeking an Environmental Educator. The person in this position develops and provides high-quality environmental educational experiences designed to inspire the adoption of life-long stewardship behaviors. Audiences include preschool and school-aged children, families, adults, and members of the public. This person works closely with other educators, volunteers, and other staff, and supports program logistics including advertising, registration, setup/cleanup, and materials preparation. This person interacts directly with participants to ensure positive experiences.
Environmental Education programs:
- Deliver EE programs at CHA and offsite program sites, providing inspiring content for all participants both internal and external. Serve as lead teacher for summer camp. Assist with and contribute to training for new and existing educators and volunteers.
- Model appropriate teaching practices at all times.
- Contribute to curriculum review and development and participate in regular review of CHA programs. Revise and develop curriculum that supports identified goals and considers needs of internal and external audiences. When developing programs draw from relevant content knowledge, research, educational best practices, and ongoing professional development resources to ensure high-quality educational results.
- Contribute to the logistical support of programs as assigned.
- Provide care for the live animal collection that support CHA programs, including feeding, handling, and habitat cleaning.
Forest and Campus management
- Assist with the management of the Arboretum’s forest as defined in the CHA Forest Stewardship Plan.
- Attend to equipment needs, including materials acquisition/creation, repair, inventory, and maintenance.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental education, biology, natural resources, education, outdoor education, or related field.
2-3 years teaching experience
Current driver’s license
Effective speaking and writing skills
Competence with computer
Demonstrate a commitment to working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and experiences
Physical mobility: sitting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
Ability to work outside in variable weather conditions.
Work Environment and Environmental Conditions:
Moderate environmental conditions for the most part, but does include significant work outside where there may be exposure to inclement weather, exposure to pollen and spores, ticks, biting insects, and other elements that are part of an intentionally natural environment.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive benefits.
Annual salary is $30,000
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with the subject being Environmental Educator. Only electronic applications will be reviewed.
Deadline – November 5, 2021 or until the position is filled.
The Cora Hartshorn Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. CHA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the employees, visitors, and resources of Cora Hartshorn Arboretum, background checks are conducted on all new and re-hired employees.